Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps implements high-quality analytical development work in very difficult places.
General Position Summary: The Program Manager will be a highly skilled, creative problem solver with strong experience working in livelihoods with a focus on engaging marginalized populations to join our team in Turkana office.
Mercy Corps Manager Job in Lodwar, Kenya
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead the conceptualization, implementation and continual improvement of dynamic, analysis-rooted development interventions in Turkana County in collaboration with Lodwar-based GIRL and REAP team;
- Set an example as a thought leader in the Lodwar office, continually encouraging staff to re-evaluate their strategies, gather and incorporate tacit information, and adapt programming to new learning and environmental conditions;
- Recommend program priorities and explore, evaluate and present new country opportunities that leverage impact and/ or complement core activities;
- Coordinate, manage and motivate the GIRL and REAP Turkana program team, ensuring that they have clear objectives/individual work plans as part of performance management) and receive meaningful feedback on their performance;
- Ensure an integrated approach to program implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy between the staff and different MC programs.
- Ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within Mercy Corps policy and with the maximum benefit to the program;
- Manage the training of program staff to ensure staff are of the quality and capacity to successfully implement activities. Monitor and advise on staffing needs throughout the program. In conjunction with the HR department, ensure evaluations and disciplinary measures are made, as necessary according to Mercy Corps policy;
- Exercise sound judgment to ensure project expenses are reasonable, allocable and prudent. Ensure all project funds are spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations. Work with the GIRL Program Director to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to be made to the program in a timely fashion;
- Oversee the program filing system and ensure that information is organized according to the reporting and auditing needs of the program. Ensure required levels of confidentiality;
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to all staff on the program;
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its work.
- Support the development and continual revision of a dynamic, programme-wide monitoring and evaluation system linked to program strategies, indicators, and information management tools, which supports programme management, accountability and learning. Coordinate data gathering and management with all Lodwar-based program staff and take overall responsibility for GIRL and REAP monitoring and evaluation in the Turkana office;
- Ensure that team leaders are paying sufficient attention to the continual gathering and digestion of operating environment data and activity reports, and that teams are holding frequent activity review sessions to continually re-examine the relevance and impact of their programming;
- Coordinate and share information with the GIRL Program Director to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are being achieved. Advise both on suggested improvements and necessities, as required;
- Produce written reports on the program activities capturing impacts related to all activities;
- Conceptualize and implement new mini-research efforts as opportunities arise;
- Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with other stakeholders such as other donors, other NGOs, and local authorities.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, village councils and local government in Turkana target areas;
- Coordinate and share information and findings with the GIRL Program Manager in Kapenguria and in Karamoja;
- Support and coordinate visits from regional and HQ based staff and external visitors, such as donors and media, in collaboration with Program Coordinator;
- Establish and maintain contact with all key actors as relevant for program implementation – government ministries, UN, NGOs, partners – and establish mechanisms for contacting local community organizations and partners and other local NGOs/CBOs in line with key GIRL areas of work.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps and to not endanger mercy Corps’ humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in business, economic development or other relevant field is preferred;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience with positions of progressively greater responsibilities;
- Management and demonstrated success building, managing and leading a team of professionals;
- Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills;
- Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills;
- Local language skills a plus;
- Excellent quantitative skills required. Financial accounting experience preferred;
- Experience in building and maintaining strong/productive relations with implementing and strategic partner agencies is preferred. This includes coordinating with government authorities and counterparts;
- Experience working in conflict environments is preferred;
- Security management experience in remote and insecure environments;
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
How to Apply
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.